New Applicant Guidelines
- Deadline for receipt of Virtual Valley application/submission: April 1, 2021 (11:59 PM, PST)
- Submission should consist of four or five pages of recent poems, typed, 12 pt. Submit PDF or Word.doc through our online application form.
- Put your name in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Attach a digital file (PDF or Word.doc) of your submission ms. to the online application form.
- Once you have completed the online form, you will receive an email confirmation.
- A $35 reading fee will be due with application & submission, payable by check or credit card, online. Checks should be made out to
Community of Writers and mailed to:
Community of Writers – Poetry
PO Box 1416
Nevada City, CA 95959
- Notification of acceptance by May 11, 2021.
- Please note: Once you have submitted your application online, you will immediately receive an email confirmation. If you don’t get that confirmation, we didn’t receive your application. If that is the case, contact us immediately.
Guidelines for past Poetry Participants:
Due to the COVID-19 Panedemic, we are suspending our usual rules about the attending the workshop. This year we will have a simple, stand-alone lottery to decide which Poetry Alums may attend in 2021. Twenty percent of the attendees this year will be past-participants. A limited amount of financial aid is available.
Please see guidelines for alums, below:
- If you attended the Poetry Workshop in the Virtual Valley in 2020, we are sorry, you aren’t eligible for this summer’s workshop.
- If you are an alum from previous year, and you wish to attend this year’s workshop in the Virtual Valley, simply enter the lottery. (You do this in the application form.)
- Returning poets need not prepare or submit a writing sample if entering the Returning Poet Lottery.
- A tuition deposit of $450 will be due when entering the lottery.
- Names will be drawn out of a hat. If you aren’t selected, we are very sorry. Please try again next year.
- To enter the lottery, complete the Application Form, select “Enter Returning Poet Lottery” and pay the tuition deposit.