RETURNING POET LOTTERY PROCEDURES
& LOTTERY APPLICATION FORM
Dear Alumni Poets,
Our great good luck through the years in supporting poets and poetry has led to a much-needed change in our returning poet lottery policy for returning poets. As you know, this Poetry program depends on its small size and the additions of new voices every year. In the past, poets were asked sit out one session before entering the lottery. And, if their name wasn’t selected in the lottery, admittance was guaranteed the following year. This policy worked out well for years and years, but is no longer sustainable.
We need a new policy to preserve the size, spirit, and integrity of the program. If you would like to attend the workshops again, we are delighted and encourage you to do so, however we are instigating these new procedures:
(1) Please wait out two sessions before reapplying.
(2) We can no longer guarantee entry the following year to those who entered but are not selected.
(3) Each year will begin a new lottery; however, if you enter the lottery and are not selected two years in a row, you are guaranteed admittance the third consecutive year entered.
The important thing about the community is that it is a community. We know that the friendships that are begun in the program, and the workshops and reading groups formed out of these friendships, are a very important part of the ethos of Squaw Valley, so we hope we can make an every-third-year system work, and that you bear with us while we try it out.
If you would like to enter the lottery for summer 2017, please complete the online Returning Poet Lottery Form and send in your deposit of $700 by the March 28 deadline. The deposit goes toward the $1100 tuition this summer and will reduce the amount due by that amount. You will also be asked to pay a $20 Lottery Entry Fee.
- Online deposit and fee payments are subject to a 3.25% service charge, and will be immediately deposited into our account. If you are not selected, your online payment will be refunded. The Lottery Fee is non-refundable.
- If you decided to mail in a check for your deposit, your check will be deposited only if you are selected; if you are not selected, your check will be shredded. Please send the check to the Nevada City address, below. Make check out to Community of Writers and put “Poet Lottery Deposit” on the memo line of the check.
- If you also choose to mail in a Lottery Fee check please be sure to use the Nevada City address, below. Make check out to Community of Writers and put “Poet Lottery Fee” on the memo line of the check.
Thanks so much for your understanding and patience as we put these rules into practice. We hate to turn anyone away, but circumstances are forcing our hand.
We will notify you regarding the outcome by May 1, 2017.
Brett Hall Jones
Community of Writers
PO Box 1416
Nevada City, CA 95959